logotype
Search
Login
Sign Up
Diary
Germination

Maiden Voyage :(

Germination
1
1
White Widow Autoflower Cannabis Seeds
10.03.2023 was planted
Updated 4 months ago
Indoor
Indoor
room type
Spider Farmer 4.5x2x6.5
Spider Farmer 4.5x2x6.5
grow tent
Soil
Soil
medium
LED / 1000W
LED / 1000W
Spider Farmer SF1000
LED / 1000W
LED / 1000W
Spider Farmer SF1000
2 Week (10.10.2023) Germination
3 comments

Photos and Videos

:(
:(
This is a little worm that was lurking where I pulled one of the bad seeds from. Pretty sure he's not a friendly.
This seems like the good stuff, but I am inexperienced.
This is the best soil I found locally that wasn't MiraclewGro. Is it crap?

Impressions about plant

The only thing growing in my soil appears to be the bugs that came with it. There are tiny little spiders (too fast to be mites), gnats, and I found a white worm of some kind right where one of my seeds was. I think the bugs came with the soil. I live in the middle of nowhere and this was the best "non-miraclegrow" soil I had. It looks like it's got all the things I want, but this is my first grow, so, *shrugs*

Should I keep the dirt and try to kill the wild-life (also, how?)? Should I discard the soil altogether and spend more money?

I didn't document the germination process. I guess I got too excited to get started. I picked the lightest two seeds, starting with the "whitest seeds" first. I soaked them in a 4-oz baby-food jar with the HGCC kelp solution. I soaked them for about 24 hours on a Spider-farmer seedling mat. They both sank nicely in the kelp-treated water. They were slightly cracked, and I could see the beginnings of a tail coming from each seed. I pulled them out and put them into a Tupperware-like container with 4 layers of paper towel under, and 4 layers above. I put the contents of the kelp-water into the container. The paper-towels held the water, and when lifted, nothing pooled in a corner., so no free-standing water in the bottom. I put the container on the spider farmer mat to finish germinating. I checked on them every day and noted that they weren't doing anything else. After a few days, I worried about the seeds rotting, so I fired up the tent, made some holes in the soil, and every-so-carefully put each seed into a hold, tail side down. The tails were nothing but a hint, but I could tell which way should go down. I covered them with plastic domes, and placed a black plastic tub lid over the domes to keep the heat in, and the light out. From that point, I checked on them every day, kept the soil damp by lifting the domes, misting the soil under the dome with a sprayer, once a day. Every couple days, I would poor a little water around the outside of the dome to keep the soil around the domes from sucking the moisture out of the domes.

However, the seeds ultimately rotted, and I kinda wonder if that happened while they were in the Tupperware container. I was listening to a podcast and it was suggested to dispense with the paper towel stage, going right from the water to the soil. I followed the HGCC germination video pretty closely, and I'm not sure where I went wrong. But I never even got to the point of having real tails coming out of the seeds. Ready to try another seed or two, but I'm hoping someone has some feedback before I start.

Grow Conditions

0 inch
Height
0 °F
Day air temperature
0 °F
Night air temperature
No smell
Smell
=